Unified Functional Testing or UFT is a Functional and Regression Testing Software that test both Web and Windows Application. The UFT is a licensed/commercial tool owned by HP which is one of the most popular tools available in the market. It compares the actual and expected results and reports the results in the execution summary.
Make automated testing more efficient and help developers and testers collaborate. This functional automated testing software—formerly Quick Test Professional (QTP) —helps deliver quality software at the speed your business needs.
Astra Quick Test v1.0 to v5.5 – Mercury Interactive May 1998 to Aug 2001
5.5: First release: Released in 2001
6.0: Released in 2002
6.5: Released in 2003 – Quick Test Professional (QTP)
7.0: Never released
8.0: Released in 2004
8.2: Released in 2005
9.0: Released in 2007
9.1: Released in 2007 – Acquired and Released by HP
9.2: Released in 2007
9.5: Released in 2008
10.0: Released in 2009
11.0: Released in 2010
11.5: Released in 2012 – renamed Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
11.52: Released in June 2013
11.53: Released in November 2013
12.00: Released March 2014
12.01: Released July 2014
12.02: Released March 2015
12.50: Released July 2015
12.54: Released October 2016
13.00: Never released
14.00: Released January 27, 2017
Why QTP/UFT Tool?
There are hundreds of automation tools in the market. Choosing automation tool for your organization is really a difficult task.
Advantages of UFT:
- Test Web based as well as Desktop Applications.
- Supports for Testing across various platform like Windows, iOS, and Andriod (Moble Testing)
- HP UFT is an Object-based testing tools comes with built in Object Repository.
- Supports different environments like ActiveX, SAP, Oracle, .NET, Java, Visual Basics.
- Integrates with test management tool like HP Quality Center.
- Multiple browser supports like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Programming Language VBScript is easier to learn.
- Contains SQL Engine through which we can automate backend database testing.
- Better error handling mechanism.
- Excellent data driven testing features.
- QTP is there in Market from Long Time and has Own Market Share.
- Very Stable.
- Cost/Money (QTP is licensed product).
- VBScript (Non object oriented language).
How to Install UFT?
- Go to https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/software/uft#.UHPBWi73q8A
- Download and Install Free Trial for 60 Days. Latest Version: 14.00
- Installation: different places it stores the traces
- Use Virtual Tools: VMware, Parallels
- Then Uninstall and Reinstall
Two License Types in UFT
1. Seat License: License only for your specific machine. Seat License: 6k
2. Concurrent License: First Come First Serve. Concurrent License: 8k
Seat License – A Seat License is specific to the computer in which it is installed. This license includes a 30-day demo period during which you must contact HP to obtain a permanent seat license key.
Concurrent License – A Concurrent License regulates the number of concurrent Unified Functional Testing users and requires installation of a license server from a separate CD-ROM found in the Unified Functional Testing package.
You purchase Concurrent Licenses separately from HP, and install them on the HP Functional Testing Concurrent License Server.
System Requirements for UFT
To successfully install and run HP QuickTest Professional 12.02, your computer must meet the minimum system requirements shown below. However, It is always recommended to have a configuration higher than the minimum requirements.
- Computer/Processor: Pentium IV or higher microprocessor (minimum 1 GHz)
- Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 (with a patch)
- Memory: Minimum of 1GB when no more than three add-ins are loaded simultaneously. [Additional memory is required when loading more add-ins and when using the Save movie to results option to capture movies during run sessions.]
- Color Settings: High Color (16 bit)
- Graphics Card: Graphics card with 64MB video memory
- Free Hard Disk Space: 1 GB of free disk space for application files and folders. [You must also have an additional 120 MB of free disk space on the system disk (the disk on which the operating system is installed).]